Sunday, October 5, 2014

Driving to visit a friend

So, a few days ago, Ben told me he was going to Watertown (where we lived before this, about a 2 hour drive south) this weekend to meet up with a friend. Then a day or two after he told me, he said he was going to sleep over the night at his grandmother's (about a 30 minute drive north of Watertown).

On one hand, I was happy to have this weekend to myself (less stress if he's not around), but on the other hand, I was angry. He has absolutely no issue driving like 4 hours round trip, spending money on gas, just to hang out with some friend for like an hour or two. Like, really?

And unfortunately, this isn't the first time where he's driven that far to meet up with a friend. And each time I think about it, it reminds me of when I was stuck in Canada waiting for my visa. Because, in the 9 months I was waiting, Ben only came up to visit me five times. Comparing to that most Canadian/American relationships on VisaJourney (immigration forum I'm joined to), that's extremely low (seemed like most Can/Am couples visited each other like once a month or more). And four out of those five times, I think he only came because I asked him to. First time he came on his own free will. That was the day I got denied the second time at the border. He decided he'd drive up to Winnipeg and then take a flight from there to Montreal. I felt so special. But after that, it seemed like such a big deal for him to fly to spend some time with me. Yes, I get flying wasn't cheap, but I had spent a couple thousand dollars to spend weekends with him before we got married.

So, I always think, he's so willing to drive 2 hours to meet up with a FRIEND yet I feel like it was so difficult for him to come visit me, his WIFE.

Oh well, that's in the past now. Hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with him driving far to visit a friend. Hopefully, just two more weeks and I'll be living on my own, away from all this ridiculousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment